Wednesday, August 8, 2012

That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

Before we get into today's workout, I'd like to explain how the motto (posted above) has become a life motto for me. It all happened the winter of my sophomore year in high school. 

My wrestling team and I had just arrived at the motel we would stay at before the morning's championship. We got hungry after the weigh ins and decided to cross the busy 4 lane highway (with a median) at night to a gas station. We made it safely across to the station. On the way back everyone made it across except for one of my buddies and I who were behind, so we let a few cars pass as we stood on the median. After a couple of seconds, an SUV stopped and waved us across. I took the chance and jogged out past the SUV in the lane nearest the median when all of a sudden a red car (pictured) comes darting around the stationary SUV and hits me going 45 mph.

I went through the windshield, dented the top of the car with my head and rolled/flew over the top of the car landing on my back cracking my head on the asphalt, I blacked out. Waking up in the ambulance I wasn't in pain but I couldn't breath! The EMT's would periodically take a suction tube and use it to clear my mouth of the blood I was coughing up from my lungs. The list of injuries received are as follows:

Injuries
Skull - minor concussion I believe.. I cant remember haha!
lower right leg - both bones broken out of the skin 
lower left leg - broken fibula
Shoulder blade - Fractured scapula
Core and internal injuries - Fractured ribs, Lacerated lungs, Internal bruising. 

To make this short, I want you to understand I found that my strength by its self meant nothing when it could be taken away so quickly. Learning to walk again was one the most incredibly humbling experiences in my life, yet, the pure joy of those first few steps will stand among the greatest of my physical achievements. It became apparent to me that true strength is not measured by physical ability but rather in your spirit's inability to break. I didn't do it on my own by any means. My wonderful friends and family and the faith I had that God would heal me and make me stronger, left me one direction to take.....forward!

Gym Day!

This may look easy but I challenge you to try it! Post your best numbers so I can see how "tough" you are!
2 sets (no rest) Pull ups- 15 reps, Push Press 65 lbs 30 reps
1-2 min rest
2 sets (no rest) 45 degree backwards lunge with 45lb bar - 40 reps , Split Squat Jumps - 20 reps
1-2 min rest
2 sets (no rest) Bear crawl 50ft approx. forward then backward, Turkish get ups(look it up) 20lb dumbbell - 5 reps each side
1-2 min rest
Hardcore squat 65lbs - 30 reps
Hardcore squat - You hold the bar in the crook of your arms as you squat down and lean forward with your upper body till you nearly touch the floor with the bar then straighten up thrusting your hips forward as you stand tall ready for the next rep. Feet should be in a exaggerated wide stance.

**Guys hope you enjoyed the post let me know what you think of my training. I don't want to run out of ideas for training so leave me a comment with some programs you find to work well!

18 comments:

  1. Very impressive!! Your story and your workout. I will be following for inspiration. Thanks for sharing your story and journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Joey! I look forward to reading your updates, keep up the hard work! We love you and wish you the best!
    "Ask, and it will be given to you. Seek, and you will find. Knock, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great verse Jen, I'm knocking! Love you guys too!

      Delete
  3. Good luck Joey! We watched American Ninja Warrior last month and we all thought it looked like it was right up your alley.

    Bob, Karen, Allie, Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, maybe I should do that next year! Say Hi to the family for me!

      Delete
  4. Good luck Joey! You're an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joey, your story is amazing (albeit tragic). In you I’m sure beats the hearts of those less fortunate and your drive to look past the challenges you faced physically and mentally, and move toward this incredible goal of World Tough Mudder is truly inspirational to ALL of us.
    I wish I had some great ideas for training, but after watching the video of the event, there’s nothing I can personally think of that I do (outside of walking my dog) that would help (and that sounds pretty weak, but you don't know my dog. It takes real guts to walk him in public). And honestly there's nothing that tops how far down you’ve already dug to learn to even walk again. You only need to train your body, because there’s no doubt for me that you already have 110% of what it will take mentally. I look forward to catching your blog in the future.
    Good luck!
    Jeff, Kristin, Cameron & Cole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I cant believe the support I've been receiving. I bet I would never have seen this coming back when I was in the wheelchair recovering. Its great to see how God works things out if you have faith!

      Delete
  6. Love your blog Joey! You are an inspiration to more people than you realize! (Especially my little Noah) Thank you for your hard work and relentless drive! So proud of you.
    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyndi, say hi to the family! Noah should try some of the exercises I have on here!

      Delete
  7. As I watched the video, Joey, and knowing all that you have gone through since your accident, your will and determination, and the great fact that you are a Yooper, I said to myself, "Joey can definitely do this"! You have overcome much adversity and in keeping your eyes on the Lord you will finish this race very well! Do you team up with someone or are you on your own?
    Your workouts are crazy, intense! I tried the P90X series and you have those workouts beat!
    God Bless you as you train, stay safe, and I am proud of who you are and have become through your trials!
    YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!

    Love,
    Auntie Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Auntie Deb! I'm going to be racing on my own but not alone. I've got the best support group a guy could ask for!

      Delete
  8. Hey Joey,

    I did my Monday workout at the Y today, between working and picking up kids. All I could think about was how much harder yours is. Something better than nothing though! Hope training is going well. When you guys get snow you should train like Rocky did in Russia. (IV I think).

    Later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, something is always better than nothing its how I got started! If you ever have questions on ways to increase the intensity of your workouts let me know.

      Training is going very well. I'm reaching the end of my first periodization, (muscle building), and Ill be adding in much more distance aerobic style activities in the next period.

      I'm going to watch rocky now and see what I can pick up!

      Delete
  9. You've come a long way!!! We wish you the best with all your training both physically and mentally. Phillipians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.

    Cathy and Larry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the verse and your support!

    ReplyDelete